Your personal information is stored securely by Māori Television and our technology provider, Yabble.
Māori Television Service (“we”, “us”, “our”) takes your privacy very seriously and complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 2020 (the Act) when dealing with personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person).
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information for the purpose of conducting market research on our business directly or through our research platform and technology provider Yabble Limited.
By registering to Kōrero, signing up and participating in our research activities or providing information to us or Yabble Limited, you acknowledge you have received notice of this policy and consent to the collection and use of your information by us and contractors in accordance with this policy.
This policy does not limit or exclude any of your rights under the Act. If you wish to seek further information on the Act, see www.privacy.org.nz.
We may change this policy from time to time. In the event of a change, we will notify you through sending an email to the email address you provided us with and the change will apply from the date of such notification.
Why do we collect your personal information
We collect your personal information to conduct and promote market research to better understand how New Zealanders perceive our service and how we can innovate and improve based on your feedback. We aim our research to represent a wide range of ages, genders, ethnicities and regions of residency across New Zealand.
What personal information do we collect
For the purposes set out above, we collect your;
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
- Phone number (optional)
- Year of Birth
- Region of residence
Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect your personal information:
- directly from you, when you provide or you have provided your personal information to us, including via our website www.maoritelevision.com and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. telephone call or email), through our previous market research activities you participated in, including without limitation surveys or otherwise, or when you used our services and products by any means;
- third parties such as, without limitation, Yabble Limited, and our other market research technology partners and platform providers, where you have authorised the collection and use of your personal information.
How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- to verify your identity;
- to contact you;
- to register you as a participant in our market research and audience database;
- to inform you of the research projects and marketing activities we conduct for such, and invite you to participate in surveys, promotions and other research and marketing activities as applicable, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose);
- to make sure our research and results are representative across ages, genders, regions of residence and ethnicities in New Zealand;
- to conduct any other research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis);
- to improve the quality of our research activities and our services in general;
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests;
- to fulfil our legal duties of disclosure if we receive an Official Information Act request, judicial or other government subpoena, warrant or order;
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Our selected employees with a need-to-know and Yabble Limited are the only people who can access your personal information for the purposes set out in this policy.
Your survey answers will remain anonymous and only be reported in an aggregated form with answers from other respondents. Your answers or personal information will remain anonymised and will not be disclosed.
However, when you are participating in a discussion (as opposed to a survey) your chosen display name and comment/s will be visible to all others participating in the discussion.
We will treat all your research panel and survey-related communications (excluding personal information) with us or Yabble Limited and the content submitted or transmitted by you to the research panel provided by Yabble Limited by digital upload to the platform and/or website, electronic mail or otherwise, as non-confidential and non-proprietary information, unless specifically indicated by you either prior to, or contemporaneously with, the submission or transmission of such communications and content.
Your telephone calls and e-mails to us may be recorded and monitored for quality control purposes.
Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Yabble Limited;
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT infrastructure and system or data centre that we use to provide our services and products
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
- any other person authorised by you.
Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse. Your personal information is stored securely by us and our technology provider, Yabble Limited.
Accessing, correcting and removing your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information. Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
You may view and update your details by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You must update your details as your circumstances change.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the privacy or security of your personal information, please contact email@example.com. Alternatively write to us at Data and Insights, Māori Television Limited, PO Box 64-341, East Tāmaki, Auckland 2163, New Zealand.
Each year, you will receive an email from us or Yabble Limited, encouraging you to check whether your profile information is still accurate and up to date. In other cases, if you request a correction, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
You have the right to opt-out of any research activity at any time. If you opt-out, your personal information will be removed from the applicable participants list. However, we will retain your personal information, answers and any other historical you have provided to us or Yabble Limited in previous research activities, unless you expressly request otherwise.
If you request yourself to be removed entirely from our database and research activities, we will respond to you with an estimate timeframe during which we will safely delete your personal from our systems.